John was born at Ty Canol Farm, Llanfapley April 1930. His school years started at Llandewi Rhydderch, which meant a long walk across the fields and through Llandewi Woods to get there. Quite a test for a little one, especially in the bad weather.
Later school years were in Brynderi School. Travelling to school then was a walk down to Llanarth turn to catch the bus. Thankfully after a short time a contract was negotiated with Chappel’s Buses, Raglan and the bus called at the Red Hart. Highlight of the year for John, his family and friends was the annual Chapel outing to Barry.
John remembers the times in Llanfapley when there was more going on, whist drives and dances in the village hall. There was also a football team and Scouts. Miss Daisy Townsend, the Rectory, was the scout mistress. The village hall in the war years was a school for evacuees, whilst the local children had to walk to Llandewi.
In the early nineteen sixties Mr.William Powell, Dufryn Farm started the Rural Life Museum in the village hall, which John had the pleasure of helping to set up. It quickly outgrew the available space, eventually being moved to the Malt Barn at New Market Street, Usk. The museum now holds in excess of 5,000 exhibits.
John was a well know builder in the area, much respected for his eye to detail. He lives at the Mill, Llanfapley with wife Diane. Jane his daughter lives in the village, and two sons Jeffrey and Nicholas live in Abergavenny and Longtown.
(It is sad to announce that John died in November 2017 after a long illness)